Saturday, December 12, 2009

Evaluating the web-conferencing tool: DIMDIM

DimDim Web conferencing
As a group we had signed up for dimdim “the world’s easiest web conference” as their website describes it and we spent a considerable amount of time trying to gain some kind of “experience” in using this unfamiliar tool. It seemed that no matter what we tried our “experience” with dimdim was just not a very positive one. I watched all the tutorial videos and was still not understanding why our meetings did not work out they way we had expected then to…then I realized that in order for me to have a better understanding of what to expect of a web conferencing tool, I needed to have a better understanding of what “web conferencing” really was AND what it was not. Once I understood this, everything started to make better sense and then my perception of dimdim changed and I started to actually become rather impressed by the many features it offered as well as the support it provided for its users.
Dimdim is first and foremost a web conferencing tool with many compelling features. Some of these features include:
• FREE for up to 20 users
• requires no computer installation or plug-ins
• you can attend, or host meetings
• meetings may be recorded for view at a later time
• share a white board, computer screen, web pages or documents with attendees
• Host video/audio capabilities
• private and full public chat w/ attendees
• host may allow use of video/audio to attendee (one attendee at a time w/ FREE version)
• host may transfer control of meeting over to any of the attendees
• technical support via client forums as well as dimdim support staff support
• may invite up to 20 attendees to a meeting
• attendees who are unable to attend webinar via the internet attend via phone by dialing into meeting
• attendees may ask questions during a webinar by pressing a “call button” for the HOST at which time the attendee will be identified by HOST

An important factor for me to remember was that
a web conference or “webinar” in my understanding is much like a seminar. At a seminar there is usually a “presenter” who “controls” the meeting agenda. This may be likened to the feature on dimdim wherein one person acts as “HOST” of the meeting (seminar), hence, much like the presenter at a seminar, the meeting “HOST” on dimdim has control of the meeting having all the tools with which to conduct the meeting. Once I understood how to better utilize this tool I had more appreciation for what it had to offer.
However, we cannot overlook the challenges that dimdim has such as:
• delay in video/audio
• occasional audio echo
I feel that I could definitely use dimdim to work cooperatively on group projects such as presentation preparations. I have got a presentation for one of my classes next week. I look forward to using dimdim with my partner.

click to connect to dimdim.com

1 comment:

  1. Julia-

    Thanks for this, I'd love to learn more about your experience understanding web conferencing.

    Thanks!
    -k
    Kevin Micalizzi, Community Manager
    Dimdim Web Conferencing
    e: kevin@dimdim.com
    twitter: @dimdim

    ReplyDelete

Followers