Thursday, November 26, 2009

Multimedia Lesson Plan Reflection: "The Integration of Technology in Education"

In a period that has been referred to as the “information age” or even more currently the “digital age” many people, both young and old consider the internet and technology to be an essential part of their lives. From simple word processing, and email to the various social networking websites that many find themselves absolutely glued to, it is not difficult to see the ease with which technology has weaved itself into our lives. Yet, as much as technology is a part of our everyday lives and in the lives of many students, the integration of technology in the schools on our island is still not commonplace. As a matter of fact, the classroom with access to technology in even its simplest forms would be considered a classroom of luxury. This is sad considering the amount of time that we know students spend on the internet and how much they enjoy it. We hear all the time about the low test scores, about how teachers must learn new innovative ways of engaging students in their learning and yet we fail to take advantage of the enjoyment students have working with technology. We fail to make the connection between their love for ipods and MySpace and the lessons that we must teach them in the classroom. The integration of technology in the classroom has the potential of igniting an excitement in students like we have never seen before. It is really possible to inject our lessons with multimedia tools that will engage students, bring out the creativity that they already possess and dare them to think “outside of the box” and think critically and creatively.
I would consider this lesson plan a work in progress. I know that it is something that I want to continually work at improving and tweeking until it produces the outcomes I would like. While I am only a teacher candidate and I know that I lack the experience necessary in order to foresee the many things that may or may not work in this multimedia lesson, I also know that the excitement I felt in creating it would in turn create the same kind of excitement in the students with whom I hope to implement this lesson with. The NET’S*T standards that I feel would best apply to this lesson would be Teacher Standards 2a and 3b which read as follows:

Teacher Standards 2: Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning
Experiences and Assessments:

Teachers design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences
and assessment incorporating contemporary tools and resources to
maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge,
skills, and attitudes identified in the NETS•S. Teachers:

a. Design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate
digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity.

Teacher Standards 3: Model Digital Age Work and Learning:
Teachers exhibit knowledge, skills, and work processes representative
of an innovative professional in a global and digital society.
Teachers:


b. Collaborate with students, peers, parents, and community
members using digital tools and resources to support student
success and innovation.

These standards would be met with my presentation of the lesson using an online slide presentation website and having the students view an online video using a video viewing website such as Youtube.com. These standards would further be met with the use of a web conferencing website such as Dimdim.com would be used to keep parents informed of class activities. In addition to these teacher standards, this lesson is also aligned to NETS*T Student Standards 2d and 6a as stated below:

Student Standards 2: Communication and Collaboration :
Students use digital media and environments to communicate and work
collaboratively including at a distance, to support individual learning and
contribute to the learning of others. Students:

d. Contribute to project teams to produce original works or solve problems.

Student Standards 6: Technology Operations and Concepts
a.Understand and use technology systems.

These standards are met with the lesson objective of creating a brochure using a publishing program such as Microsoft Publisher and with the creating of a two minute public service (commercial) announcement using a choice of media tools such as Microsoft Movie Maker, a personal video camera etc. Allowing students to use technology in a project based assignment is to allow them to explore and to develop higher level thinking and collaboration skills. According to an article entitled: “Promoting Technology use in Schools” written by Jan Gahala, M.A., “students who use technology in the classroom are often more engaged in their learning, see a concrete link between reading, writing, and technology use, and can also develop job skills they will need in the future.
As is with all new experiences we encounter, this lesson was initially difficult to put together. I was not sure how I was going to integrate the use of technology but once I got some ideas brewing, it was actually fun and exciting to work on. The real test though I suppose would be how excited the students are about working on a project such as this. However, I am an optimist so if this idea does not engage and excite students then I will just have to formulate another or gather information on the internet for other ideas. As I am excited about using the internet, creating informational brochures or presentation slides, technology has the power to provide meaningful learning experiences for students; it is just a matter of successfully integrating it into lessons in a manner that engages students.


References

Gahala, J. (2001, October). Critical Issue: Promoting Technology Use in Schools.
Retrieved November 20, 2009, from the North Central Regional Educational Laboratory website: http://www.ncrel.org/sdrs/areas/issues/methods/technlgy/te200.htm

National Educational Technology Standards (1997-2009). NETS FOR STUDENTS 2007.
Retrieved November 8, 2009, from the International Society for Technology in Education website: http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForStudents/2007Standards/NETS_for_
Students_2007.htm

National Educational Technology Standards (1997-2009). NETS FOR TEACHERS 2007.
Retrieved November 8, 2009, from the International Society for Technology in Education website: http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_for_
Teachers_2007.htm

1 comment:

Followers